Welcome

Hi there, It's me Mike. This is an online diary of my life. I write about; day trips & adventures, my life, my opinions (such as music & movies), plus plenty of other things - basically the sort of stuff you would write in a diary!

Follow My Blog :)

Follow

One Year Later... Do I Regret Not Going To Uni?

Thursday, September 01, 2016 8 Comments A+ a-


One Year Later... Do I Regret Not Going To University?

This time last year I would have been starting my first year at University, but I decided not to go. So I thought I would reflect to see if I regret this decision?

Many people didn't understand why I didn't want to go to Uni. I got the equivalent to 2 A*'s & 1 A doing an ICT course at college and a lot of people thought what a waste not putting those grades into use and going to uni - and I can see why people would think that.

Some of my friends would say things like "why would you want to limit yourself and your future". They think not going to Uni means you get all the 'bad' jobs no one wants and won't get anywhere in life.

But this is how I see University... As they are getting themselves in debt for a job they might not even get in the future, I am earning more and more money at my 'bad ordinary' job. And its my money to keep - I don't have to repay any student loans etc. Plus I have the added bonus, I enjoy my 'bad ordinary' job.

Personally I think apprenticeships or finding a job is the way to go. You get paid. You get experience. You learn the required real life skills. At the end of the day, real work is different to what is said in the textbook, because textbooks are scenarios, real life is well... real life. And an apprenticeship/job offers real life.

Fair enough if you want to be a doctor, you need the qualifications. I'm not promoting not to go to university. I am simply saying it isn't for everyone and there are other options, however I do recommend you go to open days etc. of universities you would consider going to.

I do think my anxiety did play a big part of my decision. Going to university meant some massive changes. It meant meeting new people. It meant making friends. It meant moving out. It is a whole different lifestyle. And I think it could have been too much - is it really worth all the stress and panic?

If you are starting Uni this year, I want to wish you the best of luck. If you are in college and wondering what to do next, remember University isn't the only option - but do what is best for you - and what will make you happy. As I said, I am not against going to University.

So to conclude, the answer is simple. Absolutely not! I do not regret my decision. To be honest this has been one of the best years of my life. I have a job I enjoy, and I discovered my love for making videos & writing blogs and sharing them with you guys :)

Also I know its been results day recently... How did you do? Let me know! 

---------------------------

Enjoy reading this blog? Make sure you follow on BlogLovin so you know when I publish something new!

Follow

British YouTuber, Vlogger & Blogger!

8 comments

Write comments
Wilfried Mayr
AUTHOR
2 September 2016 at 17:58 delete

I like your Blog. The most important thing is that, as you said, everyone should do what he/she wants to do. When you love what you do, it certainly was the right decision! I'm happy for you that you decide your way and that you are satisfied!😀

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2 September 2016 at 19:22 delete

Now this is a really interesting blog post because this is a subject I feel very strongly about.

I went to University and dropped-out after one year. I had everything given to me; the course was fantastic and I would have had a great job paying a good wage at the end of it all. I through it all away and had to do a series of crappy jobs most of my life. If I had my degree, I would have had something to fall-back on, always.

I know money isn't everything in life but it sure makes the ride easier and a University education can help with that a lot. I agree that it's not for everyone and success can be found through other means but if you have the ability to go and don't, then I think it's a missed opportunity (to say the very least). University gives opportunities that you just wouldn't get if you were starting at street level.

The regret of not completing my course (and disappointing my parents) still hurts me to this day. It was the biggest mistake I made in my life and I paid a high price for it.

It's not too late, Mike. Please reconsider carrying on with your education if you are able to. If it doesn't work out then at least you've tried. If you don't then you will never know.

I could keep writing here forever lol. It's time for me to shut up. A very evocative blog.

Reply
avatar
MikeVlogsYT
AUTHOR
2 September 2016 at 19:31 delete

Thank you! I agree. I think a lot of people think grades are everything - and thats not true

Reply
avatar
MikeVlogsYT
AUTHOR
2 September 2016 at 19:34 delete

Thanks for sharing your story. I do understand what you are saying but i don't think its for me. I'm happy with everything for now

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
2 September 2016 at 20:16 delete

Well, I tried ! :)
(BlueSanns)

Reply
avatar
MikeVlogsYT
AUTHOR
2 September 2016 at 21:02 delete

Hahaha you did. Thank you 😊

Reply
avatar
Anonymous
AUTHOR
17 September 2016 at 18:28 delete

I have just read my comment again (don't ask me why lol) and I have discovered a hideous grammatical error. I have spelt threw the wrong way. I spelt it - through.

Kill me now !!!!!

Reply
avatar
MikeVlogsYT
AUTHOR
18 September 2016 at 00:22 delete

I didn't even notice... oh well 😊

Reply
avatar

I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post. Let me know what you thought in the comments!

Please make sure you do not post any mean or offensive comments. Thank you :)